4.03.2006

All in the Family- "We are FAMILY"

So my dear friend Kristi and I have decided to spend our Sunday mornings on a mission. Since we attend Blue Sky on Saturday nights and as much as we love to hear Joe twice in the same week (sorry Joe!), Kristi and I have decided to use our time wisely and become... Church Spies. Yes, Sunday mornings will be spent visiting other local churches of other denominations to view their worship styles, visions, sermons, and etc. So stay tuned for updates...

Church visit number one was Christ's Church of the Rockies (we think it is a Four Square Church), and may I note it is right next door to BSC in our former location. Being the ambitious souls we are, Krisit and I, with smiles, walked in and were greeted immediately by the worship singer lady (name can't remember... I know I have failed already). As she started to introduce to us, it became clear that it was no ordinary congregation... "This is my uncle Bob and his wife Betty, my mom, sister-in-law, cousin, my son, my nephew, oh these two people aren't related, my 2nd cousin and her husband with their kids, more uncles, cousins, and people with some type of blood or marriage relation. With about 40 people in total I swear that 30 of those people were related (hence the title "All in the Family" Thanks Bennett) There are three pastors all are which related... big surprise. Worship was fine (kinda like a Twila Paris concert lol) with this cute old man singing and grooving to the music, offering (its interesting to see how different churches handle offering), a trio song with the key phrase (get this) "the snow was ANGEL PILLOW FIGHTS" (best part of the visit) and a sermon.

Oh the sermon... really wasn't bad except for two things. First off the pastor (the children's pastor of the three) started off with a story. Now most pastors do but this one was odd in its context and purpose. He stated and I quote "There was this boy running around the church one day. I asked what he was doing and he said he was looking for a cow. I asked him why he was looking for a cow and that he said he was looking for the cow cause he wanted to give it a karate kick (or a round off kick to the face... go Chuck Norris). Why? Cause the boy had this idea that the cow sat on his head." And he just continued on this tangent for a while and then changed courses. Second bad thing was that he misquoted scripture. Ouch! Only once though.

Funny story that goes along with the second exception. Kristi was looking up the verses that the pastor was referencing (which were wrong). When we finally think we found the right passage, it wasn't. So Kristi turned to me and said "I don't think that they use the same bible." As we sat in shock and contemplated leaving for about 30 seconds, Kristi figured out we were one chapter ahead! Ha Ha!!!

I'm excited for other visits to different churches in the next month.

2 comments:

Gibbytron said...

Man, I love checking out new churches. It's refreshing. It allows us to see the uniqueness of the Body of Christ, and reminds us what we "like" and "don't like" about different places of worship. Not to say we are picky, but we know how we are made, and what we resonate more with in terms of worship, teaching, and community.
I'm thankful to have been a part of some awesome churches in my day, but am even MORE thankful to have checked out many congregations and see what God is doing there. Um, go Rangers. :)

Stacey said...

I agree with the fact that we all know what we "like" and "don't like" about ways we worship God. Churches are interesting to look at and see how everyone expresses themselves different to God and other believers. I love going with my friends in other cities and states and see where they go to church. It gives you a perspective of how that individual views community, worship, and teaching. I'm excited to go to different countries and see how they worship God in their churches. The times I have been to Mexico, I have come back with almost a jealous desire to worship like those people do. These people with almost nothing worship and cry out to God on their needs, exalting him for everything. I want to have that kind of heart to be so totally in love with God! In love with Him not just because He has blessed me with much but that I love Him for the fact that He is to be praised and exalted for even the hard and gross parts of my life.